The Lone Traveller

I travel along the dusty, deserted road accompanied by only tumbleweed which occasionally get caught in the wheels of my cycle. I have no sense of direction. I know not where my destination lies. I have no map to lead me. I go where the road takes me, where my intuition leads me.

The sun shines hard on my back, sweat cascading down my back like a waterfall. I wipe the beads of perspiration that blossom on my forehead with the back of my hand and continue, the journey must go on- rain, snow or sleet. The wind batters me left, right and centre; wrapping me in a tight embrace, unwilling to let go. I rip through its stronghold, and it leaves, whining- in an incomprehensible language- in my ears.

I fix my gaze on the horizon, the place of union of the sky and the Earth. The faster I cycle towards it, the farther it seems. It is so close yet eons away. Corn fields now run parallel with the road. The corn, golden in the afternoon sun wave at me as I pass by. I now ride through a golden sea, feeling rather like Moses when he crossed the red sea.

The landscape changes and I find myself in a small village. Little children shriek and run helter -skelter as I drive through their makeshift cricket ground. Vendors with colourful fruit and vegetables sit on either side of the road, loudly marketing their hoard. A little further, I find a lone stall with a lone man running it. His stall is a riot of colours and delicious smells waft from it. I am almost tempted to stop and take a look, but I reconsider and continue my never- ending journey. As I speed by, I wave at the vendor. The vendor- wearing patched trousers and a faded tie- dye shirt- gives me a toothy grin. I go on for metres without realising the presence of my own toothy grin playing across my face.

The landscape changes, yet another time. Now I find myself in a fairly urban city with buildings standing tall enough to tickle the sky. I am soon lost in the commotion of the city. The sun glints off the many windows, making it hard to see. The windows- eyes of the buildings- stare at me as if trying to make sense of my arrival. Beautiful fountains and green circles adorn the city. But I feel out of place here, these people aren't my companions. The road is my my sole companion, the only one I can trust.

Pedestrians dressed like they'd just walked out of pictures give me evil looks as I cycle past, because of me they would wait another five seconds to cross the street. Cars swerve around wildly, avoiding me. Drivers roll their eyes at me and tell me to leave. I am more than happy to leave and keep moving.

In a few kilometres, I am joined by my old comrades again- the sun, the wind and my faithful companion, the road. Occasionally, a vehicle or two keeps me company, but then speeds away. I'm not bothered. I am not lonely. I am content in my own company, worldly possessions don't matter to me.

My goal is my journey. Where it shall take me, I've no clue. But as long as I've got the sky above me and the road under me, I shall never stop. I'll keep moving forward on this tedious journey, in my own company for I am the lone traveller.

Comments

  1. Excellent and too deep for your age dear !

    As ever mesmerized

    Aatu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome ! Very nice choice of words !! Transported me to a different world !

    Madhuri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts