The trip gone wrong

Stranded- in an overheating car with two out of  four tyres punctured- on a road notoriously famous for being a haven for fugitives and smugglers is not a very pleasant way to end a road trip and yet here I am. As I look out the window, I see silhouettes of trees forming a canopy overhead. The moonlight tries valiantly to pierce through the thick blanket of leaves but the trees seem to wrap their limbs around each other more tightly as if guarding the world beneath- a world full of chaos and lawlessness- from prying eyes.

I look around  with panic but there is not much to see. My car's headlights illuminate the path up to a few hundred feet ahead. The road is as jagged as a time- tested mountainside; its terrain riddled with innumerable ditches. An odd sharp rock diabolically juts upwards waiting eagerly to sink into anything that treads over it. Beyond that the road winds off into the realm of the unrelenting darkness, governed by the shadows. Time and again, a few shadows flit about restlessly across the road and every time they do, my heart skips a beat.

Silence engulfs me. Out of the blue, the crickets start chirping and eventually other night- dwellers join in until it turns into a full-blown, meticulously synchronised orchestra. In a different situation, I would have considered the orchestra an exotic treat for the ears. However, now it only reminds me of the peril gracefully poised around me, ready to charge. A shiver runs down my spine.

I let my gaze wander downwards until it rests on the car's dashboard. Bright, neon signs blink rapidly, desperately telling me that the fuel tank is almost dry. I dim my head-lights hoping to conserve fuel. Darkness greedily claims the once- illuminated space, expanding its territory. Frustrated, I let my head drop. Accidentally, it rests on the car horn. The echo of the honk runs around the vicinity like a horse released from captivity. As it fades, everything is dead silent once more, the crickets have stopped chirping,even the shadows stand still.

A cold wind begins brewing. Trees whine and moan as the wind makes them sway to its own accord. As I take a deep breath, it is not the sweet smell of the car freshener that fills my lungs. Instead, the putrid smell of imminent danger wafts up my nose. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps hit my eardrums. I freeze.

Slowly a figure materialises from the gloom. He is a giant of a man- big and swarthy. He wears a blue shirt with black checks and patched trousers. A dagger ominously hangs by his side. He expertly scans the neighbourhood. Even if he sees the silver coloured, useless lump of metal that I am sitting in, he doesn't perceive it as a threat and walks back to where he came from;the darkness swallowing the man, the trees closing behind him.

It is as if nature itself is passionately protecting the denizens of the lair. The thought makes the surroundings seem even more brutal than they already are. The branches of the trees appears curled and haggard like the claws of an old, malevolent witch.

A white owl flies noiselessly overhead- a big, fat rat gripped in its razor sharp talons- and perches on a branch; triumphantly hooting away to glory- it is going to have a feast tonight. In the distance a wolf howls- loud and unrivalled. The crickets join in once more. The wilderness is now awake and alive. The whispers of the shadows grow louder like they are arguing over a serious issue.

Gingerly, I open the door of my car and step out into the cold atmosphere, my breath condensing to form mist. Hoping to find help further on, I slowly walk on the jagged terrain, cautious and vigilant. A gust of wind blows, shaking the trees violently. I turn around and look at my car. The coarse brown fabric of the seats looks almost black in the dim lighting. It looks so lonely, I take pity on it. It is my sanctuary. It had protected me when I was the most vulnerable. I can't leave it now. I walk back to it, carefully avoiding the rogue rock.

As my hand touches the cold metal of the door, I shiver. I quickly get in. The canopy which forms a dome overhead now feels more protective than trapping. I know help will come. I just have to wait for the light.

Comments

Popular Posts